Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Underwear and a toothbrush

In 2009, two semester-long workers worked and lived with me in Poltava- Hannah and Rachel. We traveled to Dnepropetrovsk a couple of times to visit with my supervisors. One weekend, we were planning to go for 4 days and each packed in only 1 backpack and a purse per person. In the winter, no less! We were really proud of our packing skills. However, we got ragged on by one of our Ukrainian friends for taking "so much stuff." Seriously?

So, we started joking about how our local friends would probably pack up for the 4 days by putting a pair of underwear and a toothbrush in a purse. We weren't too far off-base, by the way. They are skilled at minimalist packing.

I realized that this tendency has started to rub off on me; 2 days ago, mom, Amiee, and I needed to go to my Granddaddy's for just one night. I halfway filled a tote that was barely larger than my purse and had more than I even needed to use.

The crazy part is that I had to run by Target...because I forgot my toothbrush.

1 comment:

bo said...

I'm very proud of you for learning the art of packing :)

The last 3 trips I've taken I've had to stuff my suitcase with plastic bags because my smallest bag is bigger than the amount of stuff that I've learned I can get by with.

It's a skill!