Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I still love my job. I promise.

It's true. I do still love my job.

Sometimes, though, it's really sad. This week has been one of facing the fact that a lot of my students are failing; some are failing because of their lack of motivation and initiative, but some are working themselves to death and still not making the cut. I have such a hard time watching them struggle and then having to watch them come into my office, crying and asking me what else can they possibly do.

For several of them, the answer to that question is that I have no idea. What else is there to do after tutors, study and test taking skills, study sessions, paper critiquing, disability accommodations, changing study styles? There's not a lot left to work with.

Today brought a new low. My day was supposed to be primarily comprised of paper work and filing (midterms are going out this week). Most of the day was exactly that. At 2:00, though, one of my students came into my office and dissolved into a sobbing puddle of tears. After much effort to get the story through the crying, I found that her father had just called to tell her that her mother (who is terminally ill) was given two days to live. If that wasn't bad enough, her ride to take her home for fall break wasn't planning to leave until this coming Friday (if you're keeping track, that's two days away).

What in the world do you say to that? For the longest, I didn't say anything. I just hugged her and let her cry while I frantically prayed for something even remotely logical to say. I finally bumbled through something and prayed for her (of course, I totally broke down mid-prayer), and then spent the remaining time I had this afternoon trying to find a way to get her home earlier. Not so easy. Thankfully, the residence life office located a student headed the right direction who would be happy to offer a ride.

Y'all. It was a rough afternoon. I HAD to come home and eat an ice cream sandwich. And, I tried to commit my student to the Lord once again, praying that she makes it in time to see her mom.

I realize this wasn't a happy post, so here's some positive news to end on: God is still sovereign. I'm so glad!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Do y'all have counselors? At our institution, the advisors (like me) are not expected to get into all the personal stuff since we aren't trained for that. So we have licensed counselors on campus that we can refer them to. It sounds like you handled it GREAT and that's awesome you were able to find a ride for her!

bo said...

Hang in there, friend! And keep taking it to the Lord - exactly the right thing to do.