Thursday, March 10, 2011

For Jaclyn...and whoever else may have been wondering

Answer for Jaclyn's question (that she asked last week and I'm just now answering- I'm sorry!): our church (where we observed Ash Wednesday) isn't Baptist. It's not actually affiliated with any denomination. It's interesting to get used to, having grown up very Baptist. I love the reverent atmosphere, the simple/acoustic music (sometimes there's a violin!), and the straightforward doctrine.

I know that often liturgical forms of worship are regarded with skepticism because of how worship can become "rote." I'm not negating that. However, I've been giving this some thought over the past few months, as it's become a part of my life:

I'm not 100% sure that repetition is a bad thing.

Discipline is a good thing. I don't always like it, though. Often, I have no desire whatsoever to do things that I need to. Some days, I just REALLY don't feel like doing the whole shower/hair/make-up thing. I don't like getting up and going to work every morning. I really don't like going for medical or dental check-ups. Or paying taxes. Sometimes, I don't even feel like doing my quiet time (I know...that's a horrible thing to confess). However, sometimes, for the sake of discipline/integrity/responsibility, I just have to keep pushing through...whether whether I'm feeling it or not.

I've been learning a lot about how my feelings don't really have much bearing on worship. Sometimes, I do feel it and am completely and blissfully emotionally involved. Sometimes, I just have to push through and pray that the Lord speaks to me despite my lack of emotional connection to what's happening. I've discovered that corporate scripture reading, if nothing else, continually grounds me in the truth of God's word. It speaks truth into my life and points me to my Creator. The same thing applies to affirming the doctrine of our faith through the Apostle's Creed. Interestingly enough, I notice something new to think about every time I say it. It gives me reason to stop and think about what it means to be a believer.

It's kind of like language learning: you just have to keep doing the same things over and over sometimes until all of those words and sounds eventually stick in your head. Or, it could be like teaching English: repetition is key to the whole process.
Events like Ash Wednesday and Epiphany and Advent have all served the purpose of causing me to stop and intentionally think about why we celebrate and observe different events in the life of the church. It's so humbling to think that centuries and centuries of believers have done the exact same thing...that we're all a part of "the saints universal."

Anyway...sorry for the ramble and the extreme delay. I actually started this post last week on the 10th but am just now posting. And, it's posting with the 10th as the date, which I realize in deceptive. Sorry, guys.

No comments: