Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Things I'm Liking: March Edition

I sort of feel like when you say you "like" something, people have conflicting mental images: is it something you actually-in-real-life like or is it something on Facebook that you gave a thumbs-up to? I hate that. I get Two Thrifty Sisters' email update everyday, and there's almost always something you can "like" on Facebook and be entered into a drawing to win something. How is anyone ever supposed to know what you actually, truly, in your physical-non-virtual form like?

I rarely almost never "like" something on Facebook, so you can almost completely always trust me when I say I like something. In view of that statement, here are a few things I currently like:

1. Real Simple. The magazine. My mom bought me the Real Simple wedding edition in October, and it came with a free subscription! Yesssss. I've been a Real Simple fan for years, but I've never had a subscription before. My aunt has a genius plan for acquiring Real Simples: she checks the magazine rack at her thrift store. She's kept my addiction going for several years now by stocking up on this piece of wonderfulness in magazine shape. So smart.

2. I've been hesitant to list this one in the past. Here's my build-up, and you can decide yourself what you will choose to do. I discovered this blog ages ago and have been a faithful (if not obsessive) follower ever since. It's a blog by a woman who calls herself "The Very Worst Missionary." I find her inspiring. She and her family are missionaries in Costa Rica, and she writes about their lives and work. She offends a lot of readers, because her word choice is a little unorthodox for most missionaries. She will tell stories that will make you laugh and cry and tilt your head to the side, wondering if she's insane. I love her because she writes things that I often thought but never said while I lived overseas. She writes about the stuff you're not "supposed" to write about- about how you hate being there sometimes and how people make you want to act in an ungodly way and how you miss home so much you could just throw a tantrum. She's so honest. I'll give you the link with a caveat: If you are offended by her writing, please remember that I just mentioned that I like her and did not insist that you read her, too. I would encourage you, though, to look past her rough-around-the-edgesness and look for her heart. I think you'd like it. Here goes: theveryworstmissionary.com.

3. In a COMPLETELY different vein, I read another blog of an expat who also inspires me. She's so consistent in living in a difficult and foreign environment, always trying to find the "bright side" in a place that's so frequently dreary. She's also a great friend. Her blog sometimes reads like a fabulous guide book, complete with pictures and historical background. Check out Breanne's blog. I guarantee you'll learn something fascinating that you never knew you didn't know!


4. I know I've talked about Librivox before, but it's so grand, it bears mentioning again. I've been listening to The Secret Garden currently (which, by the way, I won't count towards my book-a-month goal), and it's just such a good reading to listen to while I'm doing stuff around the house. I haven't read it in forever, so this is a great refresher. It's free, y'all. Free.


5. Speaking of books, I just finished (re)reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (I will be counting that one, which, by the way, puts me ahead of my goal!). It's such a great book about redemption. I love it. It has some heart-wrenching moments and is definitely not for younger readers, but I think it's wonderful. I recommend.


I hope you're all having a great first of March.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

You always have good links to share!

bo said...

Thanks for the shout out - it made my day! I've been thinking about The Secret Garden for weeks, ever since we saw a walled garden at Nymans. I'll have to listen to it!