Monday, March 28, 2011

Sorry, how many classes are we teaching today?

We had a SUPER busy week in Ukraine. It was a good busy, but it was very packed. Our team of 9 (me, Amiee, Alex, Juliana, Julie, Celia, Kayleigh, Matt, and Daniel) divided into two smaller teams for the week. That way, we could cover more ground in the classroom. Boy...did we cover ground! I estimate that each team (A and B) taught about 17-18 classes each last week.

Y'all, that's a lot. In four days. On top of jet-lag. I'm just saying...

My team (team A...stands for Team Awesome, of course) taught 6 classes our first day. Six, y'all. Because our group was at the school that had- generally speaking- some of the best English speakers, we were able to do a lot of discussion-based activities. Our Union students (Juliana, Julie, Alex, and Matt) brought pictures from home (I pretty much harangued the whole team before we left the States that they'd better bring pictures or I'd haunt them in their sleep) and became champs at telling their stories over and over and over while keeping a fresh, non-I-have-done-this-72-times-already-and-don't-want-to-say-it-ever-again approach (by the end of the week, Julie was reciting Juliana's entire life presentation without a single flaw because of hearing it so much!). The Ukrainian students loved it! We also took copies of our school paper (The Cardinal and Cream) and made it famous by leading the students in games using the paper as a resource. At the end of the day, we taught two classes of little, tiny, wee children at a private school. They were presh. Monday night was spent preparing for the week's upcoming evening programs. Ooooh...intrigue, right?

Team A(wesome): Matt, me, Alex, Julie, and Juliana

Alex leading a small group in a game about the US.

Vova, Juliana, and Matt doing the same thing on the other side of the room. Where does that St. Louis arch belong? Hm...

Matt and Julie (right side of the picture) leading a group in the newspaper "scavenger hunt." It was a hit.

Julie sharing about herself/learning about her new friends in a classroom. A very squished classroom...

This picture has a crazy story behind it. If someone will leave me a comment to prove you've read this post, I'll share the story. It's a humdinger.

I took this shot to sort of demonstrate the crowdedness of this classroom. This shot mistakenly makes the room look spacious. Drat camera angles...

Team helping the wee ones with spelling words.

Julie, enchanting and mesmerizing the tots with her fancy camera. She let them take some pictures and that totally stole their hearts. Kat, you'd have loved it!

More to come. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Karen Tidwell said...

I will take the bait. Definitely want to read the story and knowing more about your week.

bo said...

If I didn't know better I'd think you spent your week in Ireland - "wee ones", so cute!

Now, I want to hear the story about the random electrical outlet. Let me guess, it was the only one you saw during your entire trip :0)

Heather Brock said...

I read it!! And I'd love to read the humdinger! : )