Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I like your job.

I realized recently that I've never written much about what I do. It struck me that that might possibly be of interest to some of you; my roommate and I were chatting about it the other night, and partway through the discussion, ME (roommate) said, "Erin, I like your job!" Granted, compared to her job, mine is a day at Harry Potter's Wizarding World (aka: gobs o' fun). She's teaching in an innercity/urban setting here in town and deserves an award. And a cape. And a crown. She's a hero of society.

Having said that, here's a little about MY job:
I work at my alma mater, which is great. My job focuses on first-year students who have been conditionally admitted to the University and are required to be a part of an accountability program. I spend my time meeting with these students, following up on all their classes (assignments, quizzes, tests, concerns, victories), setting up support systems (tutoring, paper critiquing, meetings with the school counselor, organizing workshops), and listening to them when they're overwhelmed and stressed and missing home. I get to spend time getting to know them and helping them find ways to succeed in class. It's awesome. It was such a blessing that the Lord provided a job that I love and that falls within my skill set. He really such a provider-God.

And, apparently ME like my job, too.

6 comments:

bo said...

Me too!

Nathan said...

that's such a mary ellen thing to say

CLC said...

Hey Erin,

You may have met a friend of ours through your job... have you met Janie Alexander? Just heard recently that she had started going to school there.

Cindy C

Mindy said...

You do have a great job!

Mindy said...

You do have a great job!

Peggy said...

We do have a great job...and I'm glad you are blogging about it!