Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tornado Appreciation...er...Remembrance Day

Today is the third anniversary of the tornado that tore through Jackson, TN/Union University during my senior year of college. I know this sounds dramatic, but I literally remember details about that day as if it happened yesterday. I think, in some way, it's akin to how people remember where they were when JFK was shot or when they heard about the World Trade Center in 2001. I remember things that are so insignificant- like how I had a Cranberry Slush from Sonic sitting on the coffee table that night and one of the first thoughts I had when the wall blew in was "Oh no...that slush is going to make such a mess!"

I remember what I was wearing; it looked totally ridiculous. From the waist up, I was still in my student teaching clothes, but from the waist down, I was wearing sweat pants, socks, and tennis shoes. It was so warm that day- probably 75. That night, though, the temperature dropped to 30-something. I wished I had been wearing my coat.

I remember how I kept reaching for my chapstick all night, only to realize that it was probably somewhere in Kansas...and that it was really the least of my worries.

I remember being so thirsty and knowing that I had had a water bottle with me (thanks for all of tornado prep, North Alabama), but the water never made it out of the dorm room.

I also remember really scary things like how the bathroom ceiling was starting to sink in over our heads...and how the roof of the building across from ours had blown off and was blocking our exit...and how I had glass and cement in my hair and clothes and shoes...and how there was no light and our dorm looked like a dilapidated haunted house...and how it looked like buildings where my friends lived were demolished to the point that I couldn't imagine my friends being alive...and how nobody knew where to go or what to do or what was going to happen next.

I ALSO remember really cool things like how friends of a friend couldn't get their freshman son on the phone to check on him, but right as my mom asked me if I'd happened to see him in the melee, he walked right up to me- totally unscathed (he'd just lost his phone in the storm)...and how the reason I wasn't pummeled with debris was because my roommates were in a sorority and had put a HUGE plywood sign in our window (it shielded me from the flying debris)...and how one of my roommates wasn't wearing shoes and a random guy we didn't know took off his flip flops and gave them to her so we could crawl out of the rubble...and how the lady that offered me my job this year took me in that night and took care of me...and how Kat, Brad, and I were able to find each other and wait out that horrible night together...

I have so many scary and horrifying images in my head from that night, but I also have a lot of wonderfully encouraging memories. Lots of great reminders of God faithfulness. None of my friends were seriously injured. I was able to see/check on all those closest to me so that I knew they were ok. 60% of my belongings were eventually recovered- including my great-grandmother's ring. I had use of my cell phone for about 5 hours after the tornado hit and was able to reassure my family and friends that I was ok, even though the national news services (you know, Fox, CNN...those guys) were covering the whole thing and making it look hopeless. And, when I got to Ukraine, I was able to use this story as a way to talk about how my God is so faithful. He really is. I have pictures to prove it. ;)

1 comment:

Heather Brock said...

Wow, Erin. I never heard that you got your great-grandmother's ring back! I remember your mom telling us what had happened, and saying that one thing you really hoped to get back was that ring. I prayed that God would bless you with it. So glad He did. : )