Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow day

Today, I'm not at work. Granted, I am doing some work at home, but I'm in no way required to be physically present at work. Yesterday, we got over an inch of snow (which would usually be enough in-and-of-itself to cancel school/work), but the tricky part was that the ground was wet from all of the rain we'd been getting earlier in the week. I was certain that the snow wouldn't stick because it was a little too warm and the ground was wet. Apparently, I was wrong. The temperature dropped significantly, and now everything is coated in slick, glassy ice. In Tennessee, this is really hazardous...mostly because people don't know how to drive on ice and our ice removal equipment isn't entirely sufficient. I mean, I don't know how to drive on ice either, so I would be just as much of a menace as the next guy.

It's on days like today that I remember why snow in the Southern states is so much more awesome than snow in Ukraine. In Tennessee (and Alabama, for that matter), when ice is coating the streets, everyone is warned to be safe and stay inside. In Ukraine, no one cares- you get yourself off to work or school. In Tennessee, everyone is in awe of the beautiful snow and does fun things like drink hot chocolate, read, and generally enjoy the day. In Ukraine, you get dressed in a million layers, and skate...I mean...head off to wherever, slipping/sliding/sometimes falling several times on your way there. You get boots with traction, and you learn not to pick your feet up too much. Gliding is a much better option.

Despite how much I hated it at the time, I have many fond memories of slipping on that ice:
Going on walks with friends (even though I was convinced I was going to break an important bone). Heading to church (one time, Amiee and I had had enough of slipping on the ice and just decided to plant ourselves and not budge another inch). Falling and providing quality entertainment for the millers-about outside of my grocery store.

I didn't necessarily enjoy those things at the time and REALLY resented a lot of it, but now, I can look back and appreciate the fact that I was living my life, despite the difficulties and inconveniences...and today, particularly, I can revel in the fact that I get to stay home from work because of the nasty ice.

That's why living in the South is the most awesome.

1 comment:

bo said...

Ditto . . . to everything :)