Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sometimes, I think I give/gave the wrong impression.

I've been discovering over the past 6.5 months that many aspects about life in Ukraine were totally misunderstood. Or just never considered. Or that I forgot to explain what life is like. I know that I told lots of stories and tried to write about some different, everyday things, but I think that I got so used to some things that I just never fully explained. So, in order to clarify things that weren't very clear:

Ukraine is really different from Western European countries.
Technically, Ukraine is classified as European. However, for Americans that have traveled to or through Western European countries, I should clarify that Ukraine is exceedingly different from what you might think of when you think of "Europe." Do you remember my trip to Budapest? I totally suffered from culture shock; things were so western compared to Ukraine, and I just couldn't handle it. Every bathroom had toilet paper...goodness, every bathroom had a western toilet! The buses ran on a regular schedule, no one yelled, everything was clean on the public transportation, there were so many eating options...I just didn't even know what to do with myself.

Speaking of toilets...
I didn't realize how many people were unaware of the general Ukrainian toilet situation. Here goes: most public restrooms sport, how shall I say, "squatty potties." Some call them "Turkish toilets" or even "hover potties." The point is, you have to squat to use them. I guess I got really accustomed to them. Except when volunteers came. Then, I sometimes found myself giving lessons on how to use them and not get yourself totally covered in stuff you don't want to be totally covered in. In my apartment, I had a very nice, western toilet. However, if you visited my favorite pizza place, you'd discover that they have a very nice non-western toilet. All of the colleges I taught in had squatties (some WAY more foul than others). My Ukrainian friends laughed and/or rolled their eyes every time Americans would come and not know what to do with a squatty potty. And, let me just say for the record: those bathrooms are usually hard to stomach in the smell department. If you want a good story, ask my about a) the train station bathroom or b) Rachel's side-of-the-road experience. Oh! Or about how much "fun" it is to use those suckers when totally Michelin-man in the winter time.

Toilet paper
You take your own with you everywhere. 92% of the time, there won't be any provided. There is also a lot of scented toilet paper or tissues (which is what I usually had in my purse- that way you have either nose-blowing assistance or toilet paper, depending on your needs) in the stores. I figured out the reason for that in a bathroom epiphany moment.

There are a lot of things you can't get there.
Like peanut butter. Baking powder (I mean, you can get it, but you really have to search for it). Mixes of almost any kind (think Bisquick or cornbread or cake). Pre-made items (like pie crusts or pumpkin pie filling). Duct tape. Ziplock bags- I washed and reused almost all of mine many times over...OTC meds without a prescription (they're not so OTC when you have to have a prescription). There is also exactly one (1) American restaurant in any city outside of the largest: McDonald's. I have friends living in a much more "developing" country who were shocked at the lack of American food outlets available in Poltava.

The shopping and tourist sites are not the same as western Europe.
Don't get me wrong- there is a TON of cool historical information and a lot of neat monuments. However, most of the West has very little knowledge about Slavic history and events, and most of the cool historical things haven't been preserved or marketed in the same impressive way that things in, say, Italy have been. You sort of have to develop an appreciation for the history (and let me tell you, it's awesome), rather than it being an immediate love.

These are just a few quick things to help set the record straight. I'm sure I'll think of more. Or maybe I'll just remember more stories to emphasize my points. Stay tuned...

No comments: